Est. 2026
Back to articles
Real Estate·5 min read·Posted Oct 4, 2026 at 3:18 PM

My Brother Asked Me if Buying a House Right Now Is a Mistake

Mortgage rates are back near 7% and nobody wants to give up their 3% loan. Here's the math I ran before telling him what I'd actually do.

My brother texted me last week asking if I thought now was a dumb time to buy a house. He and his wife have been pre-approved since March, renting month to month, watching their landlord raise the rent twice in eighteen months. I didn't have a great answer for him, because the honest one is "maybe, but waiting has a cost too."

Mortgage rates have been creeping back toward 7% the last few weeks, which sounds abstract until you run actual numbers. On a $420,000 house with 10% down, the difference between a 6.1% rate and a 6.9% rate is something like $220 a month. Over a 30-year loan that's almost $80,000 in extra interest, assuming nobody refinances, which is a big assumption but still.

the math nobody wants to do out loud

I ran my brother's numbers through a basic amortization calculator, the kind you can find on Bankrate for free, and the result was almost funny. At today's rates, his monthly payment on the house they liked would be about $2,890. Eighteen months ago, when they first started looking and chickened out, that same house (it was listed cheaper then too) would have run them close to $2,340. That's $550 a month gone, not to the house, just to financing costs.

He asked me if he should wait for rates to drop. I told him what I actually believe, which is that nobody knows, and the people who tell you with confidence are usually selling something. The Fed cut rates in September and the bond market basically shrugged, because long-term mortgage rates track the 10-year Treasury more than they track the Fed funds rate, and the 10-year has actually climbed toward its highest level in almost two decades on inflation worries and heavy government bond supply. So a Fed cut doesn't automatically mean cheaper mortgages. I didn't fully understand this until maybe two years ago, which is embarrassing to admit for someone who writes about money.

what I'd actually do in his position

I'm not going to pretend I have some secret framework. Here's what I told him, for what it's worth.

First, figure out the real holding cost of waiting. If rent is $2,400 and climbing 5% a year, and the house payment is $2,890 but builds equity, the gap matters less than it looks on a spreadsheet. Renting isn't "saving" the difference unless you're actually investing it, and most people aren't.

Second, ask whether the house works at today's rate without assuming a refinance bails you out. I've made this mistake myself, back when I bought my first place in 2019 — I told myself I'd refinance "when rates come down," and then they didn't come down for a while, and I was stretched thinner than I wanted to be for about two years. If the payment only works assuming a future rate cut, it doesn't really work.

Third, look at ARMs again, carefully. A 5/1 or 7/1 adjustable rate mortgage right now can run close to half a point cheaper than a 30-year fixed, and if you're confident you'll move or refinance within five to seven years, that's real money. The risk is obvious: if rates are still high or higher when the adjustment hits, you're stuck. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who isn't pretty sure about their timeline.

the part that actually changed my mind on something

What surprised me researching this is how much the lock-in effect is distorting inventory. A huge share of existing homeowners have mortgages under 4%, sometimes under 3%, and selling means trading that rate for something near 7%. So they're not selling. Inventory stays tight, prices stay sticky even with higher rates, and buyers like my brother get squeezed from both directions: fewer houses to choose from, and each one costs more to finance than it would have three years ago.

That's the part that made me stop thinking of this as "bad timing" and start thinking of it as the new normal for a while. I don't think rates are going back to 3% anytime soon, maybe not for years. If that's true, waiting for a return to 2021 conditions isn't a plan, it's a hope.

what I told him to actually do

Get quotes from at least three lenders, not just the one his real estate agent recommended — the spread between lenders on the same day can be a quarter point, which on a $380,000 loan is thousands of dollars over time. Ask every lender about temporary buydowns, where the seller or builder pays to lower your rate for the first year or two; a lot of builders are offering these right now because they're sitting on inventory and would rather subsidize a rate than cut the price.

And honestly, I told him to stop trying to time it. He and his wife can afford the payment at today's rate, comfortably, with room for an emergency fund still intact. That's the actual test. Not whether rates might drop in eight months, not whether prices might soften a little. Can you afford it now, without betting on a future that might not show up. If yes, the "right time" is mostly a story we tell ourselves to feel less anxious about a decision that's genuinely nerve-wracking no matter when you make it.

He hasn't decided yet. I don't think there's a clean answer here, and I'm suspicious of anyone who says there is.

Discussion

0 comments